How to Decorate Cupcakes with a Stencil
If you’re new to cake stenciling, this is the place to start. We will show you how we made our Snowflake Cupcakes with a Stencil.
Always make sure you have everything you need before you begin…
You will need:
- Rolling Pin
- Circle cutter to cover the top of your cupcakes (a cup or glass may be the right size)
- Buttercream to stick the fondant icing to your cupcakes - flavour of your choice
- Fondant icing
- Icing sugar (for rolling out)
- Stencil - All our stencils are cut from food safe Mylar. Our Stencil MiNiS are perfect for smaller cupcake projects.
- Gel food colouring (optional)
- Edible coloured dust – this is available in every colour, including sparkly and with added lustre
- Small clean paintbrush
- Silver edible dragees for extra sparkle
Get ready by dusting your work surface with the icing sugar. Take some fondant icing from the packet. We used Dr Oetker Soft Fondant Icing.
Top Tip: If it’s very hard, pop in the microwave for 10 seconds, and knead it for a few minutes to soften.
If you would like to colour your fondant, knead in the gel food colouring, adding a little at a time. If you’re using a deep colour, you may want to wear latex gloves to save your hands! Continue kneading until the colour is evenly spread.
Roll out on the dusted work surface.
Cut circle shapes to fit the top of your cupcakes using a cutter, or cup/glass.
Remove a scoop of the cupcake and fill the hole with buttercream also spread some buttercream onto the top.
Gently press the fondant circles in place on the top of your cupcakes.
Now for the fun part:
Take your stencil and place onto the centre of the fondant circle. We used the Snowflake Stencil (Size XS) and just cut it into individual stencils so it was easier to use on the cupcakes.
Our huge range of Stencil MiNiS are also perfect for cupcakes.
Press the stencil down from the edges – this will make the fondant rise up through the stencil pattern.
With the stencil in place, take your paintbrush and dip it into the edible dust, and brush across the raised areas through the stencil pattern.
Gently remove the stencil.
Add a few dragees by carefully pressing them into the fondant
And most importantly…
Step back to admire your masterpiece!
All our Stencils are cut from food safe Mylar so are all suitable for your cupcakes.
- See our full stencil collection on The Stencil Studio Website - Buy Stencils online (We ship worldwide).
- Follow us on Pinterest, Instagram and Facebook for more inspiration, stenciling fun and ideas.
- Share your own stenciling projects with us on Instagram or Facebook. We love to see your work.
Please feel free to comment below and share this post.